Taken around the early 1920's.Stocks House in the background
that at the time of taking this photograph was a reading room and a cafe.To
the left are the old village stocks,the large stone post in the centre of
the photograph is not the 'whipping post',but an old cross that was placed
there for when there used to a be market in the centre of Bolton by Bowland
to remind traders to trade fairly.The stocks and what is left of the cross
have been there since Medieval times.